Different versions of ANDROID OS and its main features
First beta release of Android was released in 5 November 2007. Then first commercial version of Android had seen on HTC Dream. It was the first time of users sees Android Market. Also there was a web browser in version but it’s not a developed one. Android idea was born in 2003 by Andy Rubin. First versions Android mobile operating system was some problematic and hard to use. They were not supporting high quality screens, cams and some more features. How many Android versions are there?
1 Pre-commercial release versions (2007–2008)
2 Version history by API level
- 1.1 Android alpha
- 1.2 Android beta
- 2.1 Android 1.0 Angel Cake (API level 1)
- 2.2 Android 1.1 Battenberg (API level 2)
- 2.3 Android 1.5 Cupcake (API level 3)
- 2.4 Android 1.6 Donut (API level 4)
- 2.5 Android 2.0 Eclair (API level 5)
- 2.6 Android 2.0.1 Eclair (API level 6)
- 2.7 Android 2.1 Eclair (API level 7)
- 2.8 Android 2.2–2.2.3 Froyo (API level 8)
- 2.9 Android 2.3–2.3.2 Gingerbread (API level 9)
- 2.10 Android 2.3.3–2.3.7 Gingerbread (API level 10)
- 2.11 Android 3.0 Honeycomb (API level 11)
- 2.12 Android 3.1 Honeycomb (API level 12)
- 2.13 Android 3.2 Honeycomb (API level 13)
- 2.14 Android 4.0–4.0.2 Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 14)
- 2.15 Android 4.0.3–4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 15)
- 2.16 Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (API level 16)
- 2.17 Android 4.2 Jelly Bean (API level 17)
- 2.18 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (API level 18)
- 2.19 Android 4.4 KitKat (API level 19)
- ANDROID L (not yet released)
With Android 1.5, Google started to give a nickname to all Android versions. Android 1.5’s nickname was “Cupcake”. Main upgrade on Android 1.5 was video recording. Also Widgets are firstly seen on Android 1.5.
Android 1.6 Donut was mainly a speed upgrade. Also WVGA screen support of 1.6 Donut made the Android a selection for newer phones.
Android version 2.0 named Eclair. Google fixed the main complaint points in this version like camera’s flash support, multi-touch problems and adding contact photo.
android v2.2 Froyo is one of the most effective versions of Android. It’s still using by lots of Android devices. Adobe Flash support is the main upgrade of Froyo. Also USB tethering, Wi-Fi hotspot is another important features.
Android version 2.3 is Gingerbread. Google made lots of speed optimization on this version. But some old Android versions couldn’t install and use it. Copy/ Paste feature is one of the most important features added on this version.
Android 3.0 Honeycomb is the “ Only-tablet” version of Android. Everything on the operating system optimized for the use of large tablets on Honeycomb.
There’s now 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich version. It’s started to release for different Android phone models. Also there will be 5 version of Android called “Jelly Bean”
ANDROID 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 JELLY BEAN RELEASED - WIRELESS HDTV STREAMING, GESTURE TYPING, PHOTOSPHERE 360-degree PARANOMIC CAMERA
ANDROID 4.4 KITKAT Improvement on battery performance, not up-gradable with 2.3 Ginger bread, possible with try-core CPU, Adjustable orientation with landscape and portrait, TheCloud facility, second screen compatibility, No contracts, No sprints and lots more => Click here to know in detail
ANDOID L: Material Design With Fluid UI, Animations & Transitions, Better, Synced Notifications , Smart Lockscreen & Improved Multitasking UI , Do Not Disturb Mode , ART With 64 Bit Processor Compatibility, Improved Gaming With OpenGL ES 3.1 & AEP, Improved Battery Life With Battery Saver, Advanced Camera Capabilities, Android For Work With KNOX For Enterprise Security, Better Web Browsing .
Different versions of ANDROID OS and its main features Reviewed by Sriram PV on 23:54:00 Rating: